Kristina's colour challenge #28 (plus some die cut fun...)

The lovely Kristina has another colour challenge up and today I had some cards to make AND some time to make them!  PLUS, I have had an idea buzzing around in my head for some time now that I just had to shake outta there, so I combined all these factors and bring you a real live post!  It's been a while, I know... Firstly, here is the colour inspiration picture...

102808-color.jpg

And here is my contribution to the challenge....

kristina-colour-challenge-28.jpg

I do love these colours together, and as is often the case with Kristina's challenges, I would never have thought to combine them unless prompted in this way!

The idea that I have had for some time and only just brought to life here is to use what remains of the 12x12 sheet of die cut blooms, once all the blooms have been used, which mine were quite shortly after getting them.  LOVE those things!  The sheets left behind are effectively great big stencils/masks of all sorts of funky, different sized flowers and I have been meaning for some time to use them as such!

For this card, I chose a few of the different flower stencils and sponged through them onto Ruby Red cardstock using Ruby Red ink.  Then with the mask still in place, I took my paper piercing tool and pierced around the edge of the shapes to further define the flowers.  It actually looks quite funky on the back too, with just the holes in big flower shapes -an idea for another time perhaps.... :)

After I had filled the piece of Ruby Red, I took a variety of circle punches and the two other colours of the challenge and made flower centres for them all.  The rest of the card is quite simple, so as not to be too busy as the flowers are busy enough on their own!

Kristina's colour challenge #28 Stamps: Basic Phrases Paper: Ruby Red, Pumpkin Pie, Sage Shadow, Whisper White Ink: Ruby Red, Sage Shadow Accessories: 1", 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4" Circle Punches, Pumpkin Pie striped grosgrain, Stampin' Sponges, Tool Kit, Die Cut Blooms

The next card, which I actually made first before I decided to have a go at the colour challenge, uses the same masking idea, but this time I took a card-front sized piece of Certainly Celery and sponged through the flower shaped stencils using Versamark, then embossed with clear embossing powder.  I made similar flower centres, this time a bit funky and off centre, then the rest of the card kind of evolved from there.

die-cut-masking.jpg

You can tell that there was no colour challenge involved here as I reached for my well-worn colour path of Rose Red, Regal Rose and Certainly Celery!  The So Saffron is a tiny variation on the theme :)

Enjoy!!

"Die Cut Masking" Stamps: Life Definitions Paper: Rose Red, Regal Rose, Certainly Celery, So Saffron Ink: Rose Red, Versamark Accessories: 1", 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4" Circle Punches, Regal Rose wide grosgrain, Certainly Celery thin grosgrain, Stampin' Sponges, Clear Embossing Powder, Die Cut Blooms